Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Wonders of Winter Running




I am laying on the ground, my heart pumping, my lungs still burning, and my body completely numb and I realize it is only going to get worse. It is only December 5th and I am already questioning why I put myself through the torture of running in the winter. There are so many things that make me despise winter running, but in the end I will probably end up running all winter, because I want to get better (and in the past I didn't really run in the winter and regretted it a lot when Track started).

I think almost every runner hates running in the cold. It burns your lung and you have to wear what seems like 50 pounds of clothing to not freeze to death. It sucks! Anyone who says they like to run in the winter is either a) lying b) runs to the end of the driveway and back and thinks they get an extra piece of cake for dinner, because they worked soooo hard or c) THEY ARE CRAZY, so if you like running in the winter then I am sorry to hurt your feelings, but your probably crazy. Although, I don’t think I have ever ran in the snow, I think it would be extremely hard and dangerous and add to why I don’t like to run in the cold. I do love to run and I would hate to stop now, but it’s hard to love something when you are scared of freezing to death because of it. Running in the cold isn’t fun, but you have to gear up, get out there, and try to forget about how bad you feel, because you will regret not running in the winter when spring comes and you’re completely out of shape.

I also don’t like to run in the winter, because it is in the school year and it seems like you always have some kind of excuse to not run. In the cross Country and Track season, when you have a big test or you’re really busy that night you go to practice anyway, because you are dedicated to the team, but in the winter when you have a test or your busy you just don’t run, because it’s the offseason and you don’t make your coach mad when you miss one day of running in the winter. Unfortunately, some people miss a lot of days and it seems like I am almost always running by myself or with people who aren’t my speed.

It is also hard to run in the winter, because the holidays are coming and you feel like you have better things to do. You have to go see your family, bake cookies, set up the Christmas tree, and so much more that running ends up being pushed back on the to-do list that it is hard to get to it. By the time you get through everything and you have time to run its dark out (daylight savings= another thing bad about winter running) and you are exhausted. Almost everyone is extremely busy during the holiday season and that just makes running so much harder.

There are a lot of things that make running in the winter really hard. The cold making it hard to breath and forcing you to wear a thousand layers of clothes, school and other things that make it hard for people to run every day, and the Holidays, where you are too busy to even consider running until it’s too late, all make it hard to run in the winter. No matter how hard it is to get yourself out there and run, it is so important that there is no way you will regret it when Track starts.
Words-628
 

No comments:

Post a Comment