Sunday, September 16, 2012

Shin splints :(


Today is Sunday, and because of my emerging shin splints I don’t think I am going to run today. My friend really wanted me to run with her, but I think it would be good for my legs to take a break. Even if they are not full on shin splints yet I really don’t want to risk getting full on shin splints. For any of you who are lucky enough to never have experienced shin splints, they feel like a knife is stabbing you in the shin.

 I had shin splints really bad my freshman year. It was not fun. It got to the point where even when I was sitting down, not doing anything, my shins would hurt so bad I wanted to cry. My friend had them so long, that she had to start taking physical therapy. So the last thing I want this year is shin splints.

Apparently one of our other top runners, has shin splints. This really scares me, because she does not know how to stop running. I bet she is running today. Last track season, she got injured and did not tell anyone, or stop running until right before state, when she physically could not run nearly as well as she could earlier in the summer and she had to go to the doctor. After state she couldn’t run for over a month. She also got injured in cross country last year and had to sit out for a few meets. So I am really scared she is going to get injured again this year. We really need her and it’s not fair for the team for her to push herself so much that she ends up not running as well as she should. Hopefully she has learned from her mistakes and decides to take it easy this week.

I really hope my shin splints go away, but I have a feeling this week might consist of more icing, stretching and shorted workouts then most weeks.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment